- softened butter
- 2 slices of bread (I usually use whole wheat, but it’s extra good with thick-sliced Italian, brioche, or challah bread!)
- 1-2 oz of cheese (I used Cabot extra-sharp cheddar here)
- 2-4 slices of hot, crisp cooked bacon (I cook mine in the oven)
- Start warming a nonstick pan on the stove over slightly-below-medium heat while you prepare the sandwich ingredients.
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread, and add the cheese between the slices (butter on the outside).
- Cook the sandwich for a few minutes on each side, until medium-brown and toasty and the cheese is melted. If the sandwich is getting too brown before the cheese melts, turn down the heat and turn the sandwich more often (you can also cheat and microwave it for 10-20 seconds, then put it back in the pan to recrisp).
- Once the cheese is melted, add the bacon and serve.
If you’re making the bacon the same day as the sandwich, start cooking the grilled cheese when the bacon is almost done. If you’re using leftover bacon, reheat it on a piece of foil in the toaster oven on the toast setting.