In my mind, there are two categories for muffins: fun, special occasion, at-what-point-do-we-call-it-a-cupcake muffins, and everyday, virtuous muffins. Like I mentioned in this post about cinnamon banana muffins (which are deliciously in the first category), category 2 muffins need to be all or mostly whole grain and low in added sugar (no more than a teaspoon or two per muffin). Whole wheat banana bran muffins are pretty much the epitome of a category 2 muffin – but don’t let that be a turn-off! They have a light, delicate texture with a wheaty nuttiness that I love.
I adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen to use whole wheat flour, and to mix in the fruit rather than layer it into the middle of the muffin. I’ve made them with blueberries according to her recipe and they’re great that way (and get a better dome on top), but I love the added sweetness from the banana (and definitely, definitely need my banana mixed thoroughly into the batter. A pocket of banana inside my muffin is kind of the stuff of nightmares for me.)
This is unprocessed wheat bran. I usually get mine from a health food store in the bulk bins, but you can also find brands like Bob’s Red Mill in regular grocery stores in the flour aisle.
I love, love, love these plain, boring, and miraculous muffin liners, and you will too! (I can find them at a health food store or a regular grocery store around here!)
Mix up a batch of moist, tender banana bran muffins for breakfast, snacks and your freezer! Because nothing saves the day like a frozen muffin and a microwave when the fridge and pantry, while technically containing food, don’t have anything to eat….
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk (or a substitute)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup mashed banana (about 2 small, very ripe bananas)
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk wheat bran, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Add wet ingredients and mashed banana to dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined.
- Fill muffin liners with batter and bake 17-18 minutes until lightly brown and a toothpick tester comes out with a few crumbs on it.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen – see Deb’s post for other fruit options!
This recipe was updated with a few (prettier) new photos on March 2, 2018!0