- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk (or a substitute)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup mashed banana (about 2 small, very ripe bananas)
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk wheat bran, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Add wet ingredients and mashed banana to dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined.
- Fill muffin liners with batter and bake 17-18 minutes until lightly brown and a toothpick tester comes out with a few crumbs on it.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen – see Deb’s post for other fruit options!