For the dressing (makes enough for 4-6 servings):
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey (or use agave to make it vegan)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- pepper, to taste
For the salad (quantities are per serving):
- 2 handfuls chopped or torn kale, thick ribs removed (about 1 cup)
- 1 small orange or about 1/2 a large orange, peel trimmed off and thinly sliced (or clementine sections, or canned mandarin oranges)
- dried cranberries to taste
- toasted sliced almonds to taste
- To make the dressing, combine the ingredients in a bowl or a small jar and whisk or shake to combine.
- To make the salad, add handfuls of kale to a large bowl (I use 2 handfuls per serving, or about 1 cup of chopped kale per serving). Drizzle on dressing – start with about 1 Tablespoon of dressing per serving and add more if desired. Using your hands, “rub” the kale leaves by scrunching and squeezing handfuls of them for about 30 seconds, until the leaves are tender and dark green.
- Top each serving of kale with the thinly sliced orange, cranberries, and almonds to taste!
This salad was inspired by my friend, Anna. Hers also included feta cheese, which is another delicious addition!
The dressing recipe is adapted from this one by Jamie Oliver (I reduced the olive oil for a lighter, more citrusy dressing).
The ratio for the dressing is 1 Tablespoon olive oil:1 Tablespoon lemon juice:1 teaspoon honey. Scale up or down as you need to!
You can also use lime juice in the dressing.
The kale, sliced oranges, and dressing all keep well in the fridge. I haven’t experimented with storing the already dressed/rubbed salad.