- 2 sticks butter (1 cup), room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk or cream
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz. Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate bars (for melting)
- Beat butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and milk/cream. Mix in flour and salt on low speed. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill in fridge for one hour.
- When dough is chilled, form dough into 1″ balls. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place sheet in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Break 2/3 of the chocolate into chunks and place in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted. Meanwhile, finely chop the remaining 1/3 of chocolate. Add the finely chopped chocolate into the bowl of melted chocolate. Stir until all the finely chopped chocolate is melted, too. (This step takes the place of “tempering the chocolate” and should keep it from getting white or gray streaks when it hardens.)
- Drop a cookie dough ball into the chocolate. Use a fork to plop chocolate all over the ball. Scoop the ball up on the fork. Tap the fork against the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Scrape the bottom of fork on the edge of the bowl. Use a knife to slide the chocolate-covered ball off the fork and onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill in fridge until set.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to a week.
Adapted from Love and Olive Oil