- Four medium-sized (about 7-8 oz) russet/Idaho potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4-6 oz of sharp cheddar cheese, cut into slices (you need 2-3 slices per potato half)
- Scrub the potatoes and pierce them all over with the tip of a knife. Microwave them between paper towels until tender, turning them over and checking them for doneness every 3-4 minutes. They should give slightly and feel tender when you gently squeeze them. (The total time needed will vary depending on the size of the potatoes and your microwave.)
- When the potatoes are cooked, carefully slice them in half lengthwise and brush them lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle them on both sides with salt and pepper and deliver the potatoes and cheese slices to the grill.
- Place the potatoes on the grill cut-side down over medium-high heat. Grill them 1-2 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy (you can rotate them partway through for grill marks). Turn them over and carefully top with sliced cheese. Put the top of the grill down to melt the cheese while the bottom crisps up (about 2 minutes).
If your potatoes are very large, half of a potato can be a serving.
You can easily adjust the recipe to serve as many as you would like!
The prep time includes microwaving the potatoes, which will depend on the size of the potatoes and your individual microwave.