A friend recently posted a picture of their kids eating something chocolate cake-y for breakfast. And said it contained vegetables. Obviously, I immediately wanted to have some in front of me. Now I’ve made it twice, and my three-year-old is in.love. It’s flourless, only a few ingredients, full of zucchini, and super tasty – definitely a winner!
So: zucchini first. You can use a box grater, but the food processor is so fast.
I have a problem wherein I can’t stand getting out the food processor and washing all its pieces for one task – so I compulsively look around for something else to use it for. We have some shredded cheese here, if anyone needs some….
This is my favorite kind of recipe to make with a kid helper – everything gets dumped in, in no particular order, and mixed with a spoon for as long as you want. (See also: breakfast cookies.)
We like the mini chocolate chips because they didn’t seem to sink as much as regular ones – but don’t make a special trip or anything, since there’s nothing sad about a melty layer of concentrated chocolate, right?
I’m still not sure how almond butter and zucchini and not much else turns into cake! I’m calling it snack cake, since it has just enough chocolate to be a decadent snack, but not enough to count as dessert.
Whether you’re gluten-free, not-very-strict paleo, a real foodie, a gardener with way too much zucchini, or just hungry, give flourless chocolate chip zucchini snack cake a try!Print
- 1.5 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 large or 2 small)
- 1 cup almond butter (mine was salted – I recommend adding an extra pinch of salt if you use unsalted)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8×8 pan, and bake 35-45 minutes (mine was perfect at 35). A toothpick should come out clean (except for some melted chocolate chips, perhaps).
Recipe is slightly adapted from Delighted Momma