For 12 muffins:
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups mashed bananas + unsweetened applesauce (use 2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
For 18 muffins:
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- 3/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups + 1/8 cup mashed banana + unsweetened applesauce (use 3 bananas)
- 3/8 cup milk (6 Tablespoons)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2.5 + 1/8 cups white whole wheat flour
For 24 muffins:
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups mashed bananas + unsweetened applesauce (use 4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 325. Whisk oil and honey together in a large bowl. Add eggs and whisk to combine. Add banana/applesauce mixture and mix. Add milk and whisk, then whisk in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Gently fold in flour with a spatula until combined.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin (lined with paper muffin liners, or greased), filling cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-23 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. The muffins will keep at room temperature in a sealed plastic bag for several days, or you can freeze them indefinitely to thaw as needed!
This recipe is slightly adapted from Cookie & Kate’s Healthy Banana Bread recipe. See her recipe for notes on substitutions, making it vegan, and adding mix-ins!
Since bananas vary in size, add as much applesauce as needed to get the total amount of banana/applesauce mixture called for in the recipe. I like this method since I can deal in “number of bananas” vs. “cups of mashed bananas” and tell at a glance if I can make this recipe and how many muffins I’ll end up with. Adding a little extra moisture with applesauce make them extra soft and fluffy!
To make bread, make the 12 muffin quantity (= 1 loaf) or 24 muffins (= 2 loaves) and bake for 55 minutes-1 hour.