several tablespoons of bacon grease (preferably still conveniently on your foil-lined sheet pan from cooking a package of bacon in the oven)
1 medium onion, sliced into thin half-moons
1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2″ dice
kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425. Toss the sliced onions with the bacon grease on the foil-lined sheet pan and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast for 10 minutes (you can be peeling and dicing the squash during this time).
- Add the cubed butternut squash and more salt and pepper and stir, then roast for 20 minutes more until the squash is tender and the onions are getting caramelized.
- serve over mixed greens with balsamic for a side salad (bonus points if you have leftover bacon to crumble on top!)
- serve with kale, quinoa, toasted almonds, shaved parmesan, and a balsamic drizzle for a hearty meal salad (throw a fried egg on top and have it for breakfast!)
- add to a burrito or on top of a pizza!
If your bacon cooked out a ton of fat, you may want to remove some of the grease from the foil and either discard it or save it for another use before roasting. That said, a generous amount of bacon fat helps add a ton of flavor!
I think a sprinkle of cayenne or chili powder would be awesome on this if you like a little heat.